Dr. Elizabeth M. Y. Lee
The University of Chicago
Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering
5640 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
Phone: (773) 834-7370
Email: emlee at uchicago.edu
Former Postdoctoral Research Scholar
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (2018); Advisors: William A. Tisdale and Adam P. Willard
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering Practice (M.S.CEP), Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (2018)
- B.S. in Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering, Johns Hopkins University (JHU) (2012)
- B.A. in Chemistry, Johns Hopkins University (JHU) (2012)
- Member of American Physical Society (APS)
- Member of American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)
Areas of Interest
- Solid-state spin defects for quantum information science
- First-principles molecular dynamics with enhanced sampling
- Artificial Intelligence and machine learning
- Chemical reactions on surfaces
- 2018-present, Postdoctoral Research Scholar, University of Chicago (Advisors: G. Galli and J. de Pablo)
- 2014: Consultant, General Mills, Minneapolis, MN - Developed automatic, non-destructive grain sorting device using machine learning algorithms
- 2014: Consultant, Novartis, Basel, Switzerland - Synthesized microparticles using microfluidic-based reactor for optimal drug release
- 2013-2018: Graduate Researcher and Teaching Assistant, MIT
- 2012-2017: Energy Fellow, NSF Graduate Fellow, MIT
- 2011-2012: Undergraduate Researcher, Prof. David R. Yarkony's Group, Chemistry Department, JHU
- 2011 Summer: NSF REU Researcher, Prof. Alan Aspuru-Guzik's Group, Chemistry and Chemical Biology Department, Harvard University
- 2009-2011: Undergraduate Researcher, Prof. Jeffrey J. Gray's Group, Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department, JHU
- E. M.Y. Lee, A. Yu, J. J. de Pablo, and G. Galli.
Stability and molecular pathways to the formation of spin defects in silicon carbide
Nature Communications (accepted), 2021, arXiv:2109.06420
- E. M.Y. Lee*, T. Ludwig*, B. Yu, A. Singh, F. Gygi, J. K. Nørskov, and J. J. de Pablo. (*equal contribution)
Neural network sampling of the free energy landscape for nitrogen dissociation on ruthenium
Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 12, 2954-2962, (2021)
- E. M.Y. Lee and A. P. Willard
Solving the trivial crossing problem while preserving the nodal symmetry of the wavefunction
Journal of Chemical Theory and Computation, 15, 4332 (2019)
- R. H. Gilmore, Y. Liu, N. S. Dahod, W. Shcherbakov-Wu, E. M.Y. Lee, M. C. Weidman, H. Li, J. C. Grossman, and W. A. Tisdale.
Epitaxial dimers and auger-assisted de-trapping in PbS quantum dot solids
Matter, 1, 250 (2019)
- E. M. Y. Lee, W. A. Tisdale, and A. P. Willard.
Perspective: Nonequilibrium dynamics of localized and delocalized excitons in colloidal quantum dot solids
Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A, 36, 068501 (2018)
- R. H. Gilmore, S. W. Winslow, E. M. Y. Lee, M. N. Ashner, K. G. Yager, A. P. Willard, and W. A. Tisdale.
Inverse temperature dependence of charge carrier hopping in quantum dot solids
ACS Nano, 12, 7741-7749 (2018)
- Y. Xu*, X. Wang*, J. Zhou, B. Song, Z. Jiang, E. M.Y. Lee, S. Huberman, K. K. Gleason, and G. Chen (*equal contribution).
Molecular engineered conjugated polymer with high thermal conductivity
Science Advances, 4, eaar3031 (2018)
- E. M.Y. Lee, A. J. Mork, A. P. Willard, and W. A. Tisdale.
Including surface ligand effects in continuum elastic models of nanocrystal vibrations
The Journal of Chemical Physics, 147, 044711 (2017)
- R. H. Gilmore, E. M.Y. Lee, M. C. Weidman, A. P. Willard, and W. A. Tisdale.
Charge carrier hopping dynamics in homogeneously broadened PbS quantum dot solids
Nano Letters, 17, 893-901 (2017)
- A. J. Mork, E. M.Y. Lee, N. S. Dahod, A. P. Willard, and W. A. Tisdale.
Modulation of low-frequency acoustic vibrations in semiconductor nanocrystals through choice of surface ligand
The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, 7, 4213-4216 (2016)
- A. J. Mork, E. M.Y. Lee, and W. A. Tisdale.
Temperature dependence of acoustic vibrations of CdSe and CdSe-CdS core-shell nanocrystals measured by low-frequency Raman spectroscopy
Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 18, 28797 (2016)
- I. Matlahov, T. Iline-Vul, M. Abayev, E. M.Y. Lee, M. Nadav-Tsubery, K. Keinan-Adamsky, J. J. Gray, and G. Goobes.
Interfacial mineral-peptide properties of a mineral binding peptide from osteonectin and bone-like apatite
Chemistry of Materials, 27, 5562-5569 (2015)
- E. M.Y. Lee, W. A. Tisdale, and A. P. Willard.
Can disorder enhance incoherent exciton diffusion?
The Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 119, 9501-9509 (2015)
- E. M.Y. Lee and W. A. Tisdale.
Determination of exciton diffusion length by transient photoluminescence quenching and its application to quantum dot films
The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 119, 9005-9015 (2015)
- G. M. Akselrod*, F. Prins*, L. V. Poulikakos, E. M.Y. Lee, M. C. Weidman, A. J. Mork, A. P. Willard, V. Bulovic, and W. A. Tisdale (*equal contribution).
Subdiffusive exciton transport in quantum dot solids
Nano Letters, 14, 3556-3562 (2014)
- E. M.Y. Lee, X. Zhu, and D. R. Yarkony.
On the electronic structure of the low lying electronic states of vanadium trioxide
The Journal of Chemical Physics, 139, 044303 (2013)
- M. A. Watson, D. Rapport, E. M.Y. Lee, R. Olivares-Amaya, and A. Aspuru-Guzik.
Electronic structure calculations in arbitrary electrostatic environments
The Journal of Chemical Physics, 136, 024101 (2012)